Thursday, September 6, 2007

About My Work

I have always been interested in art since I was a kid and that lead me to take up art as a subject in my IGCSEs and AS levels and finally Graphic Designing as a degree. In school our instructor encouraged us to look at different artists and take "inspiration". By this she meant "copying" the paintings and making a few changes to make them our own. That was a method of learning how to paint apparently and so thats what all the students including me did. However, I felt as a result of that we werent encouraged or forced to use our imagination and therefore unable to show our REAL creativity.

The time when I felt when I really had to start straining my brain was when I joined AUD. Since the start we were told about how important it is to be original and the whole idea of "plagiarism", which was new to me at that time, was drilled into our heads. As a result the need to be unique was crucial and thats how I learnt to start using my own ideas for a change. It was tough in the beginning as I wasnt used to thinking for myself but with the help of the instructors I realised it wasnt that tough after all. I feel I have come a long way since school and my stay in AUD has been the main contributor to my transformation.

I have included some of my school work where I worked with a range of medias including oil pastels, watercolors, acrylic paints etc. From my university work I have shown a mix of my illustrations and digital work.

No comments: